Metis invites you to compete with hackers from all over the world. #MetisHackathon is an online hackathon and workshop that gives you the opportunity to build/port your Ethereum DApp onto the Metis Layer 2 platform and enjoy fast and cheap transactions, with inexpensive, native, IPFS-based data storage and win prizes from a total pool of $1 million USD in $METIS tokens. Here are the details:
Dates and times for event milestones
- Registration Period: Until Thursday, December 30 (11:45 pm ET)
- Submission Period: Until Thursday, December 30, 2021 (11:45 pm ET)
- Judging Period: Saturday, January 1, 2022, to Saturday, January 15, 2022
- Closing Ceremony and Winners Announcement: Thursday, January 20, 2022
Metis is an Ethereum Layer 2 Optimistic Rollup Platform for the Web 3.0 Economy with its own $METIS utility token. The goal of the Metis Hackathon goal is simple: build a new Ethereum DApp or port an existing Ethereum DApp onto Metis Layer 2 and enjoy the following advantages while staying on Ethereum:
- Low gas fees
- Fast transactions (seconds as opposed to a few minutes or more on Ethereum)
- Complete compatibility with Ethereum (EVM) – if you are already on Ethereum you can port to Metis for all the above advantages at no cost and in no time
- Create your own token (tokenize) without coding
- Attract investors that are forming DAOs on the Metis platform
- Participate in the Builder Mining Rewards program (get $METIS tokens from every transaction your DApp makes on Metis)
- Use built-in, inexpensive, IPFS file storage (coming soon!)
- Use no-code capability to generate smart contracts – Metis will provide one-click deployment from our own pre-developed templates (coming soon!)
- Fully integrate your DApp into the Web2 website/platform (coming soon!)
- All decentralized and secure. All on Ethereum.
Tracks and Prizes
Decentralized Finance (DeFi) Projects Track: Build or port Ethereum Decentralized Finance (DeFi) DApps, Tools, Platforms, or infrastructure into Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)-compatible Metis Layer 2.
Popular Web2 Integrations Track: Build or port DApps, DAOs, tools, or platforms that are similar to the popular Web2 platforms (Uber, Airbnb, Meetup, Eventbrite, TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, any other popular ones, or invent your own) and implement them on EVM-compatible Metis Layer 2.
Popular Web3 Integrations Track: Port/integrate popular Web3 Decentralized Apps, DAOs, Tools, or platforms (AAVE, TheGraph, Uniswap, OpenSea, etc.) and implement it on EVM-compatible Metis Layer 2.
Decentralized Gaming Track: Design or port blockchain-based games or gaming platforms and more to EVM-compatible Metis Layer 2.
Digital Art/Collectibles Track: Create DApps, Tools, and platforms for NFT creating/minting and trading on Metis Layer 2.
United Nations Sustainable Goals Track: Create DApp, Tool, or platform on Metis Layer 2 to solve one or more of the problems consistent with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (no poverty, zero hunger, good health, quality education, gender equality, clean energy, clean water, decent work, innovation, reduced inequalities, sustainable cities, responsible consumption, climate action, world peace, life on land and below water, partnerships for these goals). See all goals here: https://sdgs.un.org/goals
We have 6 main tracks with 2 prizes for each track (12 prizes in total)
- First Place in each track is $50,000 USD value. It is delivered in $METIS tokens equivalent to $25,000 USD. We award and transfer this prize to you at the winning announcement. We also give you the opportunity to earn the additional $25,000 USD in $METIS tokens via builder mining on Metis Layer 2.
- Second Place in each track is $30,000 USD value. It is delivered in $METIS tokens equivalent to $15,000 USD. We award and transfer this prize to you at the winning announcement. We also give you the opportunity to earn an additional $15,000 USD in $METIS tokens via builder mining on Metis Layer 2.
All Track submissions are invited to apply for the additional Metis Layer 2 Ecosystem grant funding at /grants and draw mining rewards from every transaction your DApp makes on the Metis Layer 2 platform.
Partner (Sponsor) Awards
We are also onboarding partners that will provide awards to complement the main prizes; every participant can opt into the competition for an award. We will be sending further information as we onboard new partners and create new awards.
All hackathon submissions are due on December 30, 2021, at DevPost metis-ethereum.devpost.com. Please register there, so you won’t miss the submission deadline.
To have your submission considered for the prize you MUST have a working DApp/Platform running on Metis Layer 2 prior to the submission, with:
- A user-friendly interface
- No major errors that affect the core functionality of the application
- Built on the Metis Layer 2 platform
Submissions must have:
- Project name and a list of team members
- A description of what your project does and why you decided to build it
- The track that you submit it to (1 track per DApp/project only)
- Partner Awards that you want to apply to
- Demo video or presentation slides. Your video should be around 3 minutes long and include a demo of your working project (videos must be made publicly visible).
- Access to your working application or Github code repository. Access must be provided to the working application or code for judging and testing by providing a link to a website, functioning demo, or a Github repository.
- All other mandatory fields in the DevPost Submission form
How To Migrate Your Ethereum DApp to Metis Layer 2: Watch Video
Additional Info: Metis Whitepaper
Messari Hub: Messari Metis Hub
Metis Layer 2 Proof of Knowledge: Watch Video
If you have any questions, need help to form a team, or just talk to the community, our support team is available at our Hackathon Discord.
Don’t forget to:
- Join Hackathon Discord: Discord.Hackathon
All hackathon submissions will be at DevPost metis-ethereum.devpost.com
Have questions? Email us: [email protected]
Welcome to our hackathon and happy hacking!
We will be in touch and promise no spam, useful information only.